In episode 7 of the "It Pays to Fish" podcast, we feature our 1st ever guest from the world of fly fishing. Sam Looper, owner and operator of Looper Flies, ties flies as part of his full-time "side hustle." An engineer by day, Looper applies his creative prowess to the art of fly tying by night and has managed to turn his passion for it into a decent 2nd income stream for him and his family.
Looper studied and learned from some of the fly fishing world's greats, including his mentor, former tattoo artist turned fly tying virtuoso, Pat Cohen. Applying his own unique ideas and touches, constantly learning and adapting to new techniques and innovations, Looper managers to stay ahead of the curve. He gets the word out on social media via his own page and through tools like Facebook groups as well as his own website.
In this episode you'll learn:
- How Sam Looper got into the sport of fly fishing.
- How the natural progression of a fly fisherman led him to start tying his own flies and eventually stumbling upon the "spineless minnow" fly that helped put him on the map.
- How he manages to balance a full-time day job with a full-time side hustle, while keeping up with the demands of being a husband and father.
- What it's like to catch a musky on a fly fishing rig, and some tips and techniques to approaching these beasts.
- And MUCH more!
- Looper Flies
- Looper Flies on Facebook
- Looper Flies on Instagram
- Day In The Life Of A Fly Tier (great blog article on Looper from 2016)